Liv & Lois had work and I was off by Myself, so I asked
around to find out who has horses and got chatting to a guy called Russell. So
today, on my day off, Russell picked me up at 7am and brought me to the owner of
the pubs land (which I think he said was 116,000 acres, WOAH!) to muster cattle
on horseback – now THIS is the real outback.
Panoramic view from the cattle paddocks
Russell showed up with a hat for me and our first task was to
have a coffee, ha.. then we ‘Preg tested’ cows, which meant I opened &
closed gates to a paddock & prodded cows to line them up into a shoot, and
then Russell shoved his whole arm up their arse, with a glove of course to check
for a baby - prego’s go left for keeps & empties go right for sale, simples…
and then it was my turn… YUP I shoved my arm in a cow and felt a calf, WTF?! (Wish I had of gotten a picture)
Then we caught and saddled two chestnut quarter horses and
mustered a few hundred cows from miles down the property back to the
paddocks for preg testing tomorrow, with the help of Matt on a 4wheeler and 6
cattle dogs!! It was amazing & cows are the dumbest animals ever.
After a chicken salad lunch we headed back to the paddocks
to wean some calves from their mothers. We had some more help for this.
Mother’s were pushed through the left gate and calves through the right, and
me, well I sat out of this one, up high on a post and took pictures/videos, haha!
Finally we took the buggy (what the Aussies say for
ranger/gator/off-road golf cart) and chased some cattle down to push them
through to another pasture.
'Tea cup' face cow, haha!
Seriously. An amazing day, which will hopefully be repeated
soon, maybe on my next day off and then…. I’ll get you some better action shots ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment